Build Your Capacity. Enhance Your Impact.
Travel Subsidy Guidelines
The purpose of the LeaderShift travel subsidy is to help reduce geographic barriers to attending a LEADS program. Please read the following application guidelines carefully:
- Funds available for travel subsidies are limited. Full reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses is not guaranteed.
- Travel subsidies will be distributed equitably among applicants.
- Subsidy requests must be submitted when you apply for the LeaderShift LEADS program (you can enter an amount on the application form). Late requests will not be accepted.
- Subsidies will only be awarded to participants who successfully complete all required components of the LeaderShift LEADS program and are eligible to receive a certificate of completion.
- Carpooling is encouraged (of course, only the driver may claim the mileage expense).
- Participants will be reimbursed for the most economical method of travel.
How to Apply:
1. Estimate your travel costs. Eligible travel costs include:
- mileage expense and parking (Google Maps is a convenient way to calculate distance)
- public transit
- train or bus fare
- hotel and meals (if you require a hotel, and the project has not yet chosen a venue for the cohort to which you are applying, please use the hotel maximum listed below)
- airfare and ground transportation to/from the airport
3. Upon acceptance into the program, you will receive notification from the project office of the amount of travel subsidy you can expect to receive once you successfully complete the LEADS course (i.e. your subsidy pre-approval). Please note that funds available for travel subsidies are limited and full reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses is not guaranteed.
4. After you complete the five-day LEADS Learning Series, submit an expense form to the project office with actual costs and original receipts. Expense forms must be submitted within 30 days of the last class. Receipts from the issuing establishment are required for hotel, meals, parking, taxis, air, bus, train fares or taxis. Credit card receipts alone are not acceptable.
Please note the following rates, conditions and maximum amounts:
- mileage expense is calculated at .42¢/km
- hotel maximum is $160/night (only for the night preceding the training session). Overnight accommodation will be considered if the individual would have to leave their home before 6:00 a.m. to arrive on time.
- meal maximums are: breakfast $10, lunch $15, dinner $30. As breakfast and lunch will be provided on training days, those meals are not eligible for reimbursement on training days.
- only non-alcoholic beverages are eligible for reimbursement
- meals during travel time will be evaluated based on distance travelled
- only economy airfare is eligible
The LeaderShift project is governed by Community Health Ontario (CHO), and managed by the Ontario Community Support Association. CHO gratefully acknowledges support for this project from the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.